Monday, October 16, 2023

" Diabetes & Me: My Back Story "




My journey began in the shadows of obesity. A journey marked not only by excess weight but also by the determination to free myself from its burdensome chains. At my heaviest weight, I tipped the scales at over 400 pounds, and that's when I realized I had to embark on a journey toward change. 
This is the story of my journey to fitness—a monumental quest to shed weight and reclaim my health—and the role that a glp-1 medication played in this odyssey.

I struggled with obesity in my adolescent years and even as an adult. I can remember In the 5th grade, I weighed about 200 pounds. Food served as a refuge for me during my youth when I experienced abuse from molestation and other things. In addition, food was an expression of love and a gift from my beloved aunt, which provided me with comfort. I experienced a dramatic change in my life as I grew up. Following my aunt's death, I moved into my dad's house. Unaware of the severity of my weight, I became very defensive and rebellious when he brought up my weight.

In those days, I felt comfortable in my own skin. After gaining so much weight, I didn't realize how dangerous it had become for me. Three years ago, I changed my diet after staying the same for a long time. During that period, I noticed a change in my body, and my menstrual cycle was out of sync. I used to go on for days, even months, without a menstrual cycle. I remember going through a menstrual cycle for a year and was told by the ER that I probably wouldn't have been here if I hadn't arrived when I did. 

I began to realize that my weight had now become a problem. And I was told I had PCOS, and I was notified. Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a common reproductive disorder that affects people with ovaries, most often during their reproductive years. It is characterized by irregular menstrual cycles, elevated androgen (male hormones) levels in the body, and the formation of small fluid-filled sacs (cysts) on the ovaries. PCOS can cause weight gain, acne, hirsutism (excessive hair growth), and fertility problems. To lower my blood sugar and lose weight, I was given a tablet-type of medication in light of this new information.

As we approach 2022, (a1c, also referred to as hemoglobin a1c or hba1c) is a blood test that measures your normal blood sugar levels. As part of diabetes prevention, the test provides valuable information about how well a person's blood sugar levels have been monitored over time.) Although my levels had improved, it wasnt in the range my doctor wanted it to be, so I was prescribed other drugs that didn't work for me. I declined my doctor's subsequent recommendation of injectable insulin due to my personal research. Fast forward to the late winter of 2023.

 As I was strolling through TikTok, I noticed a lot of people talking about glp-1 drugs. I began to be intrigued about people testimonies. As a result, I decided to do some research on the risks, concerns, and benefits that may be associated with glp-1 drugs, so I decided to take action and discuss it with my doctor in order to get some additional advice before taking any further steps. My doctor accepted, and we began my first month of the medication. As a result of these actions, I lost 66 pounds over the course of 34 weeks and 4 days, and my a1c decreased from 7.2 to 6.5. My progress has been amazing, and I'm so proud of it. This journey isn't over. So join me as I share my research , knowledge, trials, triumphs, and the incredible power of resilience and medical intervention on the journey to a healthier me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

" What are Dual GLP-1/GIP receptor agonists ? "

Dual GLP-1/GIP receptor agonists are a class of medications used to treat type 2 diabetes and obesity. GLP-1 (glucagon-like peptide-1) and G...